- February event: co-operatives take up Jeremy Corbyn’s challenge
- Update: Scotland the Bread co-operative provides fairly traded nutritious bread, locally grown, milled and baked
- Next move: will worker co-operatives help the Co-operative Group to learn how to operate democratically?
- The Employee Ownership Association Annual Conference
- Co-operative Bank donates £20,000 to emergency appeal for co-ops hit by natural disasters
Tag Archives: Local Harvest
In a recent post we quoted MEP Molly Scott Cato: “The Co-operative shops have not been as successful in(sourcing locally) as I would like because of their centralised distribution system, but my own Midcounties Co-op has been building up its … Continue reading
Could this MEP’s co-operative vision mitigate one of the Group’s most serious mistakes: the sale of its farms?
In 2014 the Co-operative Group sold its ‘strong and successful’16,000ha farms (£7m profit during the last year) for a mere £249m to the Wellcome Trust. Danny Truell, chief investment officer of the trust said, “The trust’s philosophy is to provide … Continue reading
Co-operative managers: our own shops should sell good quality food produced on our own farms by workers with decent terms and conditions
Molly Scott Cato*writes: When I speak about food sovereignty, I often use the rather trite phrase that most people today think food comes from Tesco. The depressing comments from the Co-operative Group that the Co-operative Farms are a ‘non-core’ part … Continue reading