We join the South Wales Argus, Progressive Co-operators and Co-operative News in celebrating an award given to Newport’s Hilda Smith.
In the 2013 New Year’s Honours List she received an MBE for services to vulnerable and older people.
A former social worker, nurse and carer over the past 50 years, she is a joint founder of the Welsh Food Alliance, which has helped to raise the issue of malnutrition among the elderly. Recently she became a member of the National Partnership Forum for older people – set up by the Welsh Government – which is concerned with medicines, maladministration, malnutrition, and the importance of community services in helping older people to remain independent in their own homes.
A few of her other activities are listed here:
- membership of the Co-operative Womens’ Guild which she joined in 1957;
- serving on a Regional and District Health Authority;
- serving on the National Joint Committee of Working Women;
- acting as a director of the former Woking Society;
- chairing the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society’s Political Committee;
- and helping to set up the Newport branch of U3A, which provides learning opportunities for older people.
A remarkable – and concerned – co-operator !